Seedling Vigour Analysis.
Test your seed vigour under the appropriate conditions before potentially wasting time and effort planting and storing underperforming seeds.
The main purpose of a Seed Vigour Test is to predict what percentage of seed will emerge through soil under specified conditions and how quickly. Although the test is specified in the ISTA Rules and we do follow the rules, every facility conducting seed vigour testing will use different media and therefore results between laboratories can’t easily be compared.
Seed Vigour Tests are often requested by farmers and seed companies prior to planting or sale to ensure that it has the potential to perform in the field under specified conditions
Reasons for Analysis
- Seed Vigour Tests are often requested by farmers and seed companies prior to planting or sale to ensure that it has the potential to perform in the field under specified conditions.
- If seed is to be stored, a Vigour Test is sometimes advised simply to ensure that the seed is worth storing. There are different options that can be applied to different situations so please check with our laboratory if you are unsure.
About the Analysis
The test is quite flexible in that temperature, time, soil depth, etc can be manipulated to suit your particular requirements. Although a seed lot may have a high Germination Test result (Normal Seedlings), the seed may not have enough energy to emerge properly through a depth of soil, particularly under adverse conditions.
- The Conductivity Vigour is a rapid (24 hour) variation of the test that doesn’t use soil but rather measures the physical deterioration of the seed due to “leaky membranes”.
- A Vigour Test takes as long as a Germination Test on the same species. The length of these tests varying with each species.
- Results are usually presented as emergence after a set period under set conditions.
Other recommended tests
Other analysis that may be carried out to augment and add value to Seeding Vigour tests:
- Seed Count
Factors affecting results
Factors affecting results:
- Seed deteriorates over time. The rate of deterioration depends on the starting point and the intensity and duration of antagonistic factors.
- Heat and moisture deteriorate seed
- Storage insects and fungal pathogens deteriorate seed
Seedling Vigour Analysis Prices
- Vigour - Group 1 -$95.70 Barley, Sorghum, Oats, Soybean, Sunflower, Wheat,
- Vigour Group 2 - $136.40 all others
- Conductivity vigour - $112.70
Controlled deterioration and Accelerated Ageing
- Group 1 - $125.30 Barley, Sorghum, Oats, Soybean, Sunflower, Wheat
- Group 2 - $215.60 All others