Purity Seed Analysis.
Our seed purity analysis test results let you know how much inert matter and other seed including weeds there are in your seed lot.
Seed Purity, along with Germination, is a critical factor affecting the value of seed. A Purity Test, following the ISTA or QDPI seed testing methods, indicates the proportion of “Pure Seed”, “Inert Matter” and “Other Seeds” within your seed sample. It’s important to test for seed purity to ensure your seed doesn’t devalue due to the presence of unwanted seeds.
Our seed purity test describes the Inert Matter and lists the Other Seeds by species and it is important to pay attention to these as these categories denote the composition of the seed lot. Inert Matter may contain live storage insects that may cause rapid deterioration of the seed lot, fungal bodies that could infect subsequent crops or other things that devalue the seed. Other Seeds may comprise other crop seeds or weed seeds, which may be noxious or an unwelcome addition to your farming system.
About the Analysis
- ISTA testing is testing according to ISTA methods. We can test Purity, Other Seed Determination, Germination and Thousand Seed Weight.
- A Seed Purity Test tells you what there is other than seed, which may be harmful or undesirable in your farming operations.
- Other Seed Determination examines your sample for seeds other than the target seed.
- Germination testing estimates what percentage of your seed lot is able to germinate.
- Thousand seed weight calculates how much a thousand seeds should weigh, giving an indication of size and density.
Factors affecting results
Factors that could affect the results of a Seed Germination Test:
- Grading vs off the header
- Mechanical damage
- Pest infestation (Insect and rodent)
- For larger seeds (wheat and larger) the required amount for a Purity Test is 1Kg. For fine seeds we usually ask for a cup full.
- For light chaffy seeds we need a shopping bag full. This can be used a guide only. Please refer to our Sampling page.
Other recommended tests
Other analysis that may be carried out to augment and add value to Purity Tests:
- Seed Count